There are many ways you can contribute your time and talents as a Filoli volunteer!
Volunteering at Filoli is a wonderful and rewarding way to contribute to one of the finest remaining country estates in California. Filoli’s volunteers help us meet our mission of preservation, interpretation, and stewardship of this historic estate for public education and enjoyment.
Now Accepting Applications!
Filoli requires all volunteers to be members. If you aren’t already a member, visit our Membership Page to learn more and sign up! If you need more information about each volunteer area, see the descriptions under “Volunteer Areas” below.
If you are already a member and wish to apply, please submit an application using the form below.
Filoli has a great number of volunteers that help connect our rich history with a vibrant future through beauty, nature and shared stories. To learn more about each volunteer area, see the descriptions below:
- Art Committee – Supports art classes, events, and exhibitions.
- Quail’s Nest Café Committee – Provides direct service to visitors in the Cafe and support for Filoli’s cafe vendor.
- Clock Tower Shop Committee – Provides direct visitor service in the Shop and supports merchandising and display efforts.
- Events & Hospitality Committee – Provides support for all public and private events, such as providing hospitality or assisting with entertainment, or large events like Filoli’s annual Flower Show, Jazz at Filoli and our Autumn Festival.
- Floral Committee – Supports floral design classes, creates arrangements for events and leads Holidays at Filoli décor; creates arrangements for the House and other key locations weekly.
- School Programs – Four field trip programs available: Patterns in the Garden, School Hikes, Plein Air Art Experience, House & Garden Experience.
- Garden Committee – Hands-on horticulture work in the formal garden area.
- Garden Information Docents – Provides garden information services to visitors and engages them in deeper conversations about Filoli’s various collections such as Camellias and the Orchards.
- House & Garden Docents – Welcome visitors and present the interpretative stories of the Estate, House, and Garden through tours, talks, and other interactions. Work alongside and support interpretative staff.
- Library and Collections Committee – Supports the daily tasks of library management, including assisting members visiting the library, shelving, database work, and inventories. Assists with project-oriented tasks in support of the Collections department, including but not limited to: object research, database management, and entry, object photography, rehousing, archival filing, archival scanning and cataloging, research, and other seasonal projects.
- Nature Education Committee – Hosts the self-guided nature experience on the Estate Trail and provides guided nature hikes for both youth and adults.
- Visitor and Member Services – Provide direct support for visitor services through the Information Desk, serving as a greeter, host, or through administrative support.
IMPORTANT: to Volunteer at Filoli, you must be a Member. Learn more about the benefits of Membership.
If you have questions about volunteering at Filoli, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at (650) 364-8300, ext. 211, or email@example.com.
Volunteers at Filoli must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Be a Filoli member in good standing;
- Complete an online criminal background check through Verified Volunteers;
- Sign Filoli’s Volunteer Agreement and Code of Conduct;
- Meet a minimum of 72 hours per year of volunteer service;
- Provide Filoli with an email address so we can share important volunteer updates and information with you regularly;
- Be able to traverse (with an assistive device if needed) the uneven terrain of Filoli’s historic property.
Benefits to becoming a Filoli volunteer include:
- Invitations to special volunteer-only events throughout the year;
- Training and continuing education opportunities;
- Six free general admission passes to share the beauty of Filoli with family and friends;
- Rewarding experiences and being part of the community of Filoli volunteers, an incredible group of gifted, fun, and welcoming individuals with the shared purpose of preserving and sharing the beauty of Filoli with our diverse visitors.